Monday, May 9, 2011

The Math of Death

"The Math of Life" might have been a more appropriate and positive title, but definitely less dramatic.

My Mom passed 76 days past her 68th birthday. Given my morbid predilictions, I contemplated what that might mean for my life.

If I die 76 days past my 68th birthday (including leap years), I will die at 1:08am on March 31, 2034. As of today, this is 22 years and 331 days from now.

My brother hipped me to an idea of putting a marble in a jar for each "Saturday" you have left, and then each Saturday, remove one of the marbles. On one hand repulsively macabre, on the other -- a Nietzschean awareness of the edge (and talk about pressure to help me meet deadlines!).

Unfortunately, this would mean I would need approximately 8,361 marbles. And a jar to hold them in. If I allow for weeks I have left, I'd need 1,194.43 marbles. Hmmm. Warmer. Months is 278.7 marbles.

I'm inclined to go for the weeks. It is 915 marbles more, but I believe removing a marble every week would help be more conscious of the time I have left to get things done. The purpose of the activity. I wonder how many marbles come in a bag?

It doesn't have to be marbles, though, does it? It could be pennies. Or little plastic skulls. Or....do you have any ideas?


* I did these on the back of one of my pocket index cards and the help of my iphone, so feel free to check my calculations.

No comments:

Post a Comment